- To encourage new thinking on Canadian security and defence policy among junior and emerging academics in this field.
- Philippe Lagassé, Assistant Professor, Graduate School of Public and International Affairs, University of Ottawa
- Justin Massie, Doctoral Candidate, Department of Political Studies, Queen’s University
Project Details and Goals
- A workshop on October 25, 2008, at the University of Ottawa, brought together junior security and defence academics to present and discuss papers outlining new perspective and debates in Canadian international policy. The workshop addressed a variety of questions related to contemporary security and defence issues, such as force structuring trends, defence and public opinion, military space policy, and the value of establishing a Canadian foreign intelligence service.
- Eleven participants traveled from across Canada and parts of Europe to present their research before their peers. Also in attendance were representatives from the Department of National Defence, the Library of Parliament, and the media.
- Project papers were published in a 2009 special edition of International Journal.
- Queen’s University, Centre for International Relations
- Department of National Defence, Security and Defence Forum